Kandiyohi Power Cooperative purchases approximately 80 percent of our electricity from wholesale provider Great River Energy (GRE). The remaining 20 percent is purchased from Western Area Power Administration (WAPA).
GRE is an electric transmission and generation cooperative with 28 member cooperatives throughout the state of Minnesota. GRE met Minnesota's renewable energy standard of 25 percent renewable energy in 2017, eight years ahead of the state's requirement of 25 percent by 2025. GRE has voluntarily set a goal to serve its member-owner cooperative with energy that is 50 percent renewable by 2030 and is well on the way toward meeting that new goal. Read more about the diverse mix of GRE's generation resources here.
WAPA is a power marketing administration within the US Department of Energy whose role is to market and deliver clean, renewable, reliable, cost-based federal hydroelectric power in the central and western United States. Read more about WAPA here.